Vacuum plumbing systems for prisons, jails and correctional facilities offer benefits in safety and security, water usage, costs and maintenance, including:
Safety and Security Benefits:
- Prevention of communication and the passing of contraband between cells.
- The ability to turn off the plumbing in individual cells or groups of cells to prevent the flushing of contraband.
Water Usage and Cost Benefits:
- ½ gallon of water used per flush.
- Vacuum plumbing systems can reduce water usage by up to 68%
- Drastically reduces system blockages
- When blockages do occur, they can be located at the fixture, making it easier to identify inmates attempting to vandalize the plumbing system.
- Flexibility in layout and design—vacuum plumbing systems do not require continuous slope and can be routed overhead around existing systems.
"AcornVac is a powerful money saver. For starters, we cut the Authority’s waste cost by $200,00 a year. We saved $400,000 upfront in domestic water connect fees because AcornVac’s smaller piping network simplifies everything, and we drastically reduced how the inmates control the jail by eliminating clogged pipes."
AECOM HSMM Project Manager, Western Virginia Regional Jail
Prisons, Jails and Correctional Facilities References
Western Virginia Regional Jail
Poweshiek County Jail
Treatment Center at the Salinas Valley State Prison
Lotus Glenn Correctional Centre